Friday, June 10, 2011

Someone To Manage Your Affairs? Someone To Handle Your Business? Someone To Take The Dog For A Run? Someone To Assasinate Your Aunt? PSMITH WILL DO IT

Greetings!

Been doing a lot of reading lately and very little writing... lemme see...

Read:


The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer - this was a bit more romance-y than the other Heyer books I've devoured (any book with the sentence 'He kissed her ruthlessly.' will set my teeth on edge a little; fortunately kissing is as far as it goes!), but still amusing. More than a teensy bit implausible - the 'masqueraders' of the title are a brother and sister who swap clothes for almost the entire novel, and only one man figures it out! Very fun, silly sort of book. Think The Scarlet Pimpernel, just a little less brilliant.


Bridget Jones - The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding. If reading Jane Austen is like eating a delicious five course dinner then reading Bridget Jones is like eating a packet of chips. A guilty pleasure that doesn't do you any good, (My inner monologue always takes on the style of whatever I'm reading until I finish it... can get 'v.' annoying with some books) but you can't put it down. The storyline is much more closely based on Jane Austen's Persuasion than the previous book was based on Pride and Prejudice.

In my impatience for the next series of Sherlock I've started re-reading Arthur Conan Doyle's original classics. Awesome stuff. Definitely recommend it. Finished A Study in Scarlet - I'm moving on to The Sign of the Four now.







Leave it to Psmi
th and Ukridge by P. G. Wodehouse... how can I express the affection I feel for Wodehouse's characters and stories? I can't. Not a bit. I adored Ukridge with his dodgy money-making schemes and mustard yellow macintosh almost as much as I loved Psmith with his suavity, wit and monocle. I can only say, go! Get your mitts on a Wodehouse! Revel in the golden goodness of his magical prose and delicious, delightful plotting!

Bought:






















Yesterday I purchased these two books, neither of which I have read. The Iron Man I acquired because I recently saw The Iron Giant, which is based on the above novelette. (The Iron Giant is a gorgeous little movie, by the way - very much recommended!) I have never heard of or read any of the four books that make up The Diary of a Provincial Lady (which, according to the cover and introduction, is about the ups and downs of being a housewife in the 1930s): it seems like my kind of book and I bought it on a hunch. Hope it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment